TechTarget Completes its Acquisition of BrightTalk, a Leading Virtual Events Platform
NEWTON, MA – DECEMBER 23, 2020
TechTarget, Inc. (Nasdaq: TTGT), the global leader in B2B technology purchase intent data today announced the closing of the previously announced acquisition of BrightTALK Limited, a private company incorporated in England. As a leading marketing platform for webinars and virtual events in the enterprise IT market, the BrightTALK acquisition will enable TechTarget to significantly expand its proprietary first-party purchase intent data and its opt-in audience.
BrightTALK’s offerings allow marketers to create original webinar and video content and engage 8 million professionals who have registered for the platform. Its solution combines access to decision-makers with a technology platform for creating online events. The acquisition will significantly expand TechTarget’s proprietary first-party purchase intent data and its opt-in audience.
- Over 1,000 customers, who created 25,000 webinars and videos on the platform in the past twelve months
- 8 million registered members who have opted-in and given permission to share their contact information with relevant vendors, including over 1 million new registered members in 2020 year to date
- Over 200,000 unique viewers per month, and over 6 million content engagements in 2020 year to date
- Average viewing time of nearly 20 minutes per event
- Approximately $50 million in estimated 2020 revenue
- 30% estimated revenue growth in 2020
- Approximately 50% of revenue under long-term contracts
- Over $10 million of estimated Adjusted EBITDA in 2020
“TechTarget’s leadership position in the market is further strengthened by the acquisition of BrightTALK,” said Michael Cotoia, Chief Executive Officer of TechTarget. “This acquisition checks all the boxes. It allows us to increase our original content, grow our opt-in audience of registered members and add a material amount of proprietary first-party purchase intent data. It’s a very powerful combination that will enhance our customers’ abilities to use our purchase intent data to grow their revenues and increase their market share.”
The addition of BrightTALK will allow TechTarget to:
- Expand its leading first-party purchase intent data – the content engagement on BrightTALK has high predictive value because IT buyers are making a material investment of their time to engage with vendor-produced content.
- Benefit from the increased adoption of online events – the increased adoption of online events in place of face-to-face events has been accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Industry research indicates that the majority of marketers expect virtual events to be the norm past 2020. BrightTALK’s leadership position in this space is a key asset.
- Increase its customer base and revenues – For customers that already do business with both TechTarget and BrightTALK, there will be opportunities to expand the relationships. Additionally, there are a significant number of customers that currently only have relationships with either TechTarget or BrightTALK, providing an opportunity to cross-sell.
- Grow its opt-in audiences – BrightTALK generates a large volume of valuable content in webinar and video format that is incremental to TechTarget’s current offerings. This content improves TechTarget’s potential ability to attract new users and diversifies the content available via TechTarget’s portfolio of web sites.
- Increase subscription revenue – TechTarget has been steadily converting programs from quarterly campaigns to longer-term revenue contracts through its Priority Engine TM platform. BrightTALK is expected to help accelerate this trend based on its subscription offerings.
“We are excited to join forces with TechTarget. They are the leading provider of original expert content and distributor of vendor decision support content in the B2B tech market, which has allowed them to develop the preeminent first-party purchase intent offering,” said Paul Heald, BrightTALK’s Co-Founder and CEO. “Combining our leading platform for online IT events is a winning combination.”
Details about the Transaction
The Boards of Directors of TechTarget and BrightTALK have approved the transaction. The cash purchase price is $150 million, subject to working capital and other adjustments. TechTarget has secured committed financing in the form of a bridge loan from JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. to cover the purchase price in combination with cash on hand, and is contemplating options for permanent financing which may include public or private offerings of equity or debt securities or facilities. The Company expects to close the transaction by the end of the year, subject to the satisfaction of customary closing conditions.
TechTarget was advised in the transaction by BrightTower, a software, information, and business services-focused investment bank.
TechTarget (Nasdaq: TTGT) is the global leader in purchase intent-driven marketing and sales services that deliver business impact for enterprise technology companies. By creating abundant, high-quality editorial content across more than 140 highly targeted technology-specific websites, TechTarget attracts and nurtures communities of technology buyers researching their companies’ information technology needs. By understanding these buyers’ content consumption behaviors, TechTarget creates the purchase intent insights that fuel efficient and effective marketing and sales activities for clients around the world.